samedi 21 mars 2009

This week finally feels like spring. The air still has bit of a bite to it, but with the sun shining, la vie est belle. What better time than to finally rediscover the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood? I’ve rediscovered the charm of walking around without fear of freezing my extremities off. The Marais is one of my favorite places, a sentiment I’m sure is shared by a number of people. And this weekend, there is an extra good reason to pop by the neighborhood. Until tomorrow night, the Espace Blancs Manteux is hosting the T-Mode Salon des Jeunes Createurs. The Salon began in 1996 under the name “Les Puces de l’Art and was first hosted in the 19th arrondissement. Since then, it has become a travelling Salon with a different venue each time, every trimester. It was conceived as, and continues to be, a showcase for young designers who would not otherwise have a venue or a forum for their creative and artistic projects.
There seems to be a good number of jewelry designers. Mostly of the fun kind; earrings, necklaces and bracelets in plastic, resin and sometimes covered in Japanese print are displayed in colorful bunches that attract the eye. One or two stands had silver jewelry. If you should visit, check out Dewa. They had nice silver cuffs and even better than that, some rings and pendants with stingray skin. Off-putting as this may sound, stingray skin has an interesting texture and looks quite striking when used for jewelry. I chatted with them and was surprised to find that the stingray skin they used actually came from the Philippines but was then subsequently imported to Italy. Hmm….I certainly hope that stingray isn’t about to become extinct! Another interesting stand without a name, (except they are the first one immediately to your left when you enter the Hall), had lovely wooden cuffs. Despite being carved from wood, they were quite delicate looking, the wood all smooth and lovingly buffed to a high shine. They were very lovely!

There are also a number of participants focused on clothes. And I don’t know if it’s the current trend, but a lot of them seemed to have used Japanese prints! One stand had nothing but head bands. I didn’t realize that you could have so much variety and in so many colors and prints. It’s not my thing but I seemed to be in the minority as a good crowd gathered around the colorful headband stand. Another one which seemed to me to be the oddest was the one that had nothing but Guetres or those funny looking things that are designed to cover the shoe. This designer covered her shoe covers with all manner and type of design and color. I can’t think of wear (or how) I could wear them but its good to know that they are there if I ever want one.

I may have come away empty handed (this time!) but I’m glad to know that there are occasions like this Salon where I can discover new designers and their wares. You never know when you’re going to stumble onto the next Martin Margiella or Marc Jacobs.



Practical Details
Espace Blancs Manteaux
48 rue Vieille de Temple
75004 Paris
Free Entrance
Open till 9PM tomorrow night!

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

the jewelry seems so nice!!!

Anonyme a dit…

They were nice, if you like fun costumey stuff! One even had macaroon necklaces. If I were to pick one for you, I'd go with the stingray ring in RED!